Hawaii News – Hawaii Tribune-Herald Hilo-area News, Sports, Weather and Entertainment
- Police warn of increase in fentanyl on Big Island’s streetsby none on June 25, 2022 at 10:05 am
The Hawaii Police Department — part of a newly formed fentanyl task force — said in a news release Friday it is concerned about an increase in the amount of the potentially deadly narcotic being seized in conjunction with recent drug investigations.
- ‘It’s a disaster’: Politicians, community members speak out on overturning of Roe v. Wadeby none on June 25, 2022 at 10:05 am
Hawaii politicians and community members are speaking out after Friday’s landmark decision by the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade thus eliminating the federal constitutional right for women to have an abortion.
- Police announce road closures for Saturday’s LGBTQ+ Pride Parade in Hiloby none on June 25, 2022 at 2:41 am
The Hawaii Police Department said road closures in downtown Hilo for the annual LGBTQ+ Pride Parade route will occur just prior to the parade’s start at 11 a.m. Saturday and will remain in place for the duration of the parade.
- Vaccinations begin for youngest keikiby none on June 24, 2022 at 10:05 am
The rollout of COVID-19 vaccinations for keiki 6 months old through age 4 have officially begun statewide.
- Government cost commission sets prioritiesby none on June 24, 2022 at 10:05 am
County building codes and permitting processes top a priority list of six areas of local government the Cost of Government Commission plans to take a more in-depth look at.
- Biden signs Ocean Shipping Reform Actby none on June 24, 2022 at 10:05 am
President Joe Biden last week signed the Ocean Shipping Reform Act, which aims to “crack down on skyrocketing ocean shipping costs and ease supply chain backlogs that are raising prices for consumers and making it harder for U.S. farmers and exporters to get their goods to the global market.”
- HIHS event kicks off summer of free adoptionsby none on June 24, 2022 at 10:05 am
The dog — and cat — days of summer start this afternoon with an event at the Hawaii Island Humane Society locations in Keaau and Kona to celebrate a summer of no adoption fees.
- Suspect in decades-old Kalapana murder arrested in Honoluluby John Burnett on June 24, 2022 at 10:05 am
A 72-year-old prisoner indicted for a decades-old cold case murder was arrested Thursday afternoon in downtown Honolulu.
- DOH reports another probable monkeypox caseby none on June 24, 2022 at 10:05 am
The state Department of Health today said it has identified one additional probable case of monkeypox in an Oahu resident.
- States, including Hawaii, with strict gun-permitting laws consider next stepsby none on June 24, 2022 at 10:05 am
The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday struck down a New York state law that had restricted who could obtain a permit to carry a gun in public. Under the law in place since 1913, New York residents needed to show proper cause, or an actual need, to carry a concealed handgun in public for self-defense.