Hawaii News – Hawaii Tribune-Herald Hilo-area News, Sports, Weather and Entertainment
- Council OKs abandoned vehicle billby none on October 6, 2022 at 10:05 am
The Hawaii County Council Wednesday signed off on a bill that’ll help private property owners rid their land of abandoned or derelict vehicles.
- Council endorses Keauhou Bay land purchaseby none on October 6, 2022 at 10:05 am
The last open piece of property on Keauhou Bay could soon belong to the public, following approval Wednesday by the County Council to purchase the parcel using property tax proceeds.
- Lawmakers OK resolution calling for relocation of HCCCby Michael Brestovansky on October 6, 2022 at 10:05 am
The Hawaii County Council and a state oversight commission agree that the Hawaii Community Correctional Center should be moved to a different location.
- UH-Hilo enrollment dips againby none on October 6, 2022 at 10:05 am
Enrollment for the University of Hawaii at Hilo declined again this year by 8.2%.
- Police arrest 9 for DUIby none on October 6, 2022 at 10:05 am
During the week of Sept. 26 to Oct. 2, Hawaii Island police arrested nine motorists for DUI of an intoxicant.
- More earthquakes rock Mauna Loa, but no eruption threat, says HVOby Michael Brestovansky on October 6, 2022 at 10:05 am
Another earthquake swarm is rocking Mauna Loa, but the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory states that there are no signs of an imminent volcanic eruption.
- Death of dive boat captain under investigationby none on October 5, 2022 at 10:45 pm
The the body of the captain of a 35-foot dive boat who had reportedly stayed on board as others dived was discovered Monday off Mahaiula Beach Park in North Kona.
- DOH uses wastewater monitoring to track virusby none on October 5, 2022 at 10:05 am
The first report analyzing wastewater from the state Department of Health confirms COVID-19 cases have dropped statewide since June, with the omicron subvariant BA.5 remaining the dominant strain.
- Animal Control Services criticizedby Michael Brestovansky on October 5, 2022 at 10:05 am
Dozens of people turned out Tuesday to voice their frustrations with Hawaii County’s Animal Control Services, only for a planned discussion about those operations to be postponed.
- Former HMC nurse pleads not guilty to stealing fentanylby none on October 5, 2022 at 10:05 am
A former Hilo Medical Center nurse is accused of prescription drug theft and felony drug possession in connection with two alleged incidents at the hospital in April.