Hawaii News – Hawaii Tribune-Herald Hilo-area News, Sports, Weather and Entertainment
- DOT provides update on Kolekole Bridge, other Highway 19 bridgesby none on September 28, 2021 at 10:05 am
The state Department of Transportation said Monday intermediate repairs to Kolekole Bridge on Highway 19 north of Hilo “will be completed within three to four months and will restore normal operations on the bridge.”
- The next venture: Construction begins on Matsuyama Commercial Centerby none on September 28, 2021 at 10:05 am
Ground has been broken and construction begun for a new commercial center in North Kona.
- BIISC focusing on eradication of devil weedby Michael Brestovansky on September 28, 2021 at 10:05 am
Hawaii County residents are urged to be on the lookout for an highly invasive plant found on the island this year that could devastate the cattle industry.
- Hawaii aquaculture sales total $66.4M, down 15% from 2019by none on September 28, 2021 at 10:05 am
The COVID-19 pandemic appears to have taken a bite out of Hawaii aquaculture sales in 2020 with figures down double digits from 2019.
- Bail reduced in identity theft-related caseby John Burnett on September 28, 2021 at 10:05 am
A 34-year-old Pahoa man charged with more than a dozen property offenses received a significant bail reduction during his initial court appearance Monday.
- Endangered monk seal makes fast, long journey across Hawaiiby none on September 28, 2021 at 10:05 am
HONOLULU (AP) — Researchers say an endangered Hawaiian monk seal has made an exceptionally fast and long swim across the archipelago.
- Native Hawaiian deaths from COVID-19 spike over past weekby none on September 28, 2021 at 10:05 am
HONOLULU (AP) — Hawaii health officials said 23 Native Hawaiians died from COVID-19 last week, accounting for 20% of all fatalities among Hawaii’s Indigenous people since the start of the pandemic 18 months ago.
- 60% of all state COVID cases were in people 39 and underby none on September 28, 2021 at 10:05 am
Keiki 12-17 and young adults 18-29 have the lowest vaccination rates against COVID-19 in Hawaii and are among the age groups that account for the most coronavirus cases, according to data from the state Department of Health.
- Man accused of assault during flight makes initial court appearanceby John Burnett on September 28, 2021 at 10:05 am
A 32-year-old man accused of twice punching a flight attendant on a Thursday morning flight from Honolulu to Hilo made his initial appearance Monday in U.S. District Court in Honolulu.
- New HVO buildings would include research center at UH-Hilo, field station at HVNPby John Burnett on September 27, 2021 at 10:05 am
Hawaii Volcano Observatory’s scientist in charge said Tuesday progress is being made toward its new facilities.